The Commandant’s Quarters at 21950 Michigan Avenue was built in 1833 as part of Detroit Arsenal at Dearbornville. It is the oldest building in Dearborn still located on its original site, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is a designated Michigan State Historic Site.
Following the closure of the Arsenal in 1875, the Commandant’s Quarters saw a variety of uses as a civic center, library, police station, and school. In 1949, the Dearborn Historical Commission purchased the building and in 1950 it was officially opened as the Dearborn Historical Museum.
Today, the Commandant’s Quarters remains open to the public for tours on a limited basis with plans in place to expand its hours.
For more information on the Detroit Arsenal in Dearborn, click here.