Due to capacity and fire safety concerns, a new Dearborn High School replaced the original building at the beginning of 1926 at the corner of Mason and Garrison streets. The first Dearborn High had about 8 rooms used for classes and activities. In comparison, the new Dearborn High opened in 1926 had nearly 50 rooms.
This building eventually closed in 1957 and became Ray Adams Junior High School. Adams Junior High School closed in 1982.
In 1944, the school districts of Fordson and Dearborn merged into a consolidated system. Between 1954 and 1956, 63 total acres were purchased from St. Joseph’s Retreat for the modern Dearborn High, which opened in the fall of 1957.
For more on modern Dearborn High School and for up-to-date news, visit the official website.
More detailed information about Dearborn High’s early history can be read in the Winter 2018 issue of the Dearborn Historian starting on page 15.