Before the birth of the modern City of Dearborn on January 15th, 1929, the area was largely split into an old community of Dearborn and the City of Fordson. The City of Fordson was originally named Springwells, which was formed from the remnants of Springwells Township in 1919. Fordson Mayor Joseph Karmann led a campaign to merge Fordson and Dearborn into one city, which would have the benefit of space for new development and civic improvements. Thanks to the support of Henry Ford, voters approved the merger of the new communities. Potential names for the new combined city included Dearson and Fordborn, but none gained traction. Due to the greater history of the Dearborn name, that was left as the title for the newly created city.