Well over 60,000 people lived in Dearborn by 1940. By that time, it was clear for people in city government that a fully functional hospital was needed closer than Detroit. Mayor Orville Hubbard spent years in the 1940s trying to establish a municipal hospital for the city. However his plans were cancelled by the announcement that the Greater Detroit Hospital Fund would be spending over $4,000,000 in donated money to build what became Oakwood Hospital. Still Hubbard tried to get involved with the project and used the prospect of the city building a municipal hospital instead as a bargaining chip. His involvement was deemed unpopular and it helped precipitate a recall movement in 1951.
On Ford donated property, the groundbreaking of Oakwood Hospital happened in August 1950. It was opened on January 5th 1953. More history of the hospital can be read here: https://www.beaumont.org/about-us/history/a-history-of-healing-at-oakwood-healthcare
Oakwood Hospital and the Oakwood Health System merged with Beaumont Health in 2014. The hospital is now known as Beaumont Dearborn.